Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Capital Independece Day

A little late, but still pretty cool.

Spent the 4th of July this year in DC and it was GREAT!

Started out at the Nationals Game with some of my fellow interns...well, it was supposed to be SOME of my fellow interns, but they all ended up hung over or with parents showing up in town unannounced, so it was just me and good old Charlie who ended up being able to make it- but we lived it up!  It was free hat day, but since a baseball game is apparently was every true American wants to do on Independence Day, there were none left by the time we got there :(  But we had our hopes up and it was very sunny, so we forked over some dollars and bought our own.

It was all patriotism with the national being performed- I swear- 3 times, and sickening country songs about the USA blaring over the loud speakers and soldiers carrying flags around and, to top it all off, my lady liberty sun glasses.

Only for you, America, only for you.

Next I walked to the National Mall, went through security, and told security all about the Nationals victory after the doofus outfielder who had been dropping the ball (literally) stole both 3rd and home for the win.  They asked when they saw my fancy new hat.  I did leave out for them the parts about the super fans sitting behind Charlie and I, shouting out supportive gems such as "Whadda we pay you for ya bum?!  You're a $120 million mistake!"  There he is behind me:

What a peach.

Anyway, back to the National Mall.  So my mother said it best when she called and asked "Do you feel like a patriotic sardine?"  Saving my spot for 3 hours, laying down in the grass only to wake up with people standing above my head...yes, I certainly did feel like a sardine in a sea of red, white, and blue.

 Interestingly enough, the only people NOT wearing their patriotic colors was the French couple sitting right in front of me.  The were visibly annoyed about all the standing and sitting for the patriotic tunes and were the only ones not belting out God Bless America with tears all over the place.  Needless to say, as soon as a couple sprinkles came down they gladly peaced out.
 The concert was cool, enjoyed the show very much, including Steve Martin's grammy-winning bluegrass band (true story)- the French couple REALLY didn't like that!

And then the real show began, the fireworks:
Against the backdrop of the Washington Monument- pretty cool.


A few days later I was back at National's Stadium with the formerly punked out other interns and this time I scored my free hat, so now I have TWO Nationals hats, which I guess makes me also a superfan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment