Saturday, July 2, 2011

DC Art Day

Metro-ed down to a couple museums today and it was great.  Here are some photographed favorites...

First I hit up the National Museum for Women in the Arts.  There main deal is that female artists are under-represented in all of the big museums [see the Guerrilla Girls print below], so they exclusively showcase works created by females.  Cool.  The building itself is gorgeous.  This first painting made me laugh.  All of these rich, prissy girls with their nasty little rat dogs in their purses are not trend-setters or creative, this has been being done by the wealthy and weird for a LONG time!
 That is one pathetic little pooch...

This print also made me laugh, they have a very good point though!
(In case you can't read the caption, it says "Do women have to be naked to get into the Met. Museum? Less than 5% of the artists in the Modern Art Sections are women, but 85% of the nudes are females.")

Although I have never heard of this artist, I really like the brilliantly colored nature-inspired paintings on display by Susan Swartz.

And FREDA!  The lady at the front desk VERY proudly told me that this is the only self-portrait by Freda Kahlo in the entire District of Columbia! :)


And then I spent WAAAAAY too long at the National Gallery of Art.  They even had to kick me out at closing time...


First were the sculptures, and I LOVE sculptures!  I'm going to put a replica of this one into my fancy lawyer office when I grow up.  It's by Hébert and it's called "Amazon Preparing for Battle/Armed Venus."  So FIERCE!

And I just about died when I realized how many Rodin works they had!  Once I planned a trip on the train to Philly almost exclusively to see their little Rodin Museum only to get all the way there (2+ hours each way) and see that they museum was closed that day :(  Saddest ever!  But today made up for that!  I had never seen this one (below) before, but it was lovely.  It's a mother and baby and I think the best part of it is its former French title...

My French isn't awesome, but I translate that to being "First Impression of Love" and I think this expresses the emotional guidance that a mother can give to her child.

And then was Rodin's Le Pensuer! The Thinker!  Famous!  Smaller than I expected.  Much smaller.

Me in the grand Rotunda-

Tom-

George and the fam-

In the sculpture garden of the National Gallery they have this new gigantic fountain.  I refer to it as "The Great American Foot Bath."  And that's exactly what it is.  Ewww...

Surprisingly enough, this one is by Jackson Pollock- the splatter art guy.

HUUUUGE mobile by Alexander Calder in the modern section of the museum.

Georgia O'Keefe! :D

And one of my favorite guys ever- Mondrian!  Love love love him!

And isn't this the most interesting mural?  I was very drawn to it- really a neat piece.  It was painted by Roy Lichtenstein in 1983 and is called Painting With Statute of Liberty.  Uneventful title, but trust me it was AWESOME!
 Great day.  And I love the Metro.  The end.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful - thanks for sharing your experience. Loved seeing the painting of George and fam - I grew up with a copy of it in my home.

    ReplyDelete