Saturday, May 21, 2011

So long, Pennsylvania!

Just before I said goodbye to my little PA home (I already miss the Mennonite farmers market!!) I decided to make a visit to the National Civil War Museum.  There is a great museum dedicated to the civil war in Gettysburg (obviously) but it mainly focuses on the actual battle at Gettysburg.  So the National Civil War Museum was created in Harrisburg to showcase things pertaining to the entire war, including some things about slavery, Lincoln's assassination, and so forth.  I didn't realize it until I got there, but it wasn't even opened until 2001!  You'd think that the bloodiest war in our nation's history would get a little official recognition before then, but hey, budget crisis...

It's not too big, but I found it to be well-organized and insightful.  I even cried.  Going to museums by yourself, I have found, lends itself to more moments of AH-HA! and sometimes more tears since you don't have people tugging at you to move along, so I enjoyed that :)
The statue is entitled "Moment of Mercy"

No comments:

Post a Comment