Sunday, May 29, 2011

NYC...lotsa photos

Little train ride from DC to Manhattan for a very fun and verrry long day, including walking 10.3 miles according to my pedometer (which actually tends to estimate low!).  Here is the day in photos:

Confession, I hit the cupcakes early and often.  Gave a new shop a try called Baked by Melissa featuring teeny little silver dollar sized cupcakes- moist and flavorful- thumbs up!
 Cookie Dough, Red Velvet, Peanut Butter Cup

Shortly followed by a stop at the ever-tempting Crumbs Bake Shop, my true Achille's heel, for a flavor I had never tried before- Lemon Meringue.  Delish!  Marshmellow-y cream on top with lemon curd filling. (I didn't eat ALL of it, so don't worry too much...but I got close!)

Next was a walk through Central Park en route to Museum Mile.

Funny enough, when I saw this guy (above) selling jokes, my first thought was, "Oh- Colin should do that!" haha


Definitely some beautiful spots in that park.  I don't think I ever appreciated its size until I walked diagonally across nearly the entire length of it!  HUGE!

And then my long-time dream- THE GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM!!


Franky, you did good. (That's Frank Lloyd Wright for those of you that aren't as good of buddies with him as I)  Couldn't take pictures of the art, but the architecture is art in itself.

Next came a pretzel dog from the gourmet pretzel cart outside of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Complete with spiced kraut and more ketchup and mustard than anyone could ever want:
 Then I stopped to see the Manhattan LDS Temple- the last time I saw it, it was but a lowly chapel- and now it looks like a legit temple!  Angel Moroni and everything!  I was very glad that I got a chance to see it.

Literally across the street from the Temple is the Juilliard and the Lincoln Center, where a little adventure came.  A woman asked me for the time, it was 1:50pm, and then she rushed off with masses of others into the Lincoln Center.  Then came the scalpers and I discovered the New York Ballet was set to perform in 10 minutes and I decided to give it a go!  The $50 I paid on the street for a $140 ticket in the first row above the orchestra level was something I could NOT pass up!  I was lucky enough to sit next to a real connoisseur of the NY Ballet- she could tell which of the different choreographers had put together a dance by watching!- and the performance was a tribute to Broadway Musicals, including several numbers from West Side Story- my favorite!! :D

Honestly, I didn't even know what the ballet was going to be before I bought the ticket, so I was pleasantly surprised :)  Obviously no photos of the performance, but here's a couple from the inside:


And then I saw Raj!  After 2 years!  Love her!!  We feasted on some delights from the Grand Central Market.
And, of course, a final Crumbs cupcake for the road home- I chose the whimsical "Squiggle" designed after Hostess, think: "where's the cream filing?" :) It was VERY tasty!
Beautiful day and tons of fun!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Lou, how Wonderful!!!!! Wish I had been with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing all the things! You are amazing:)

    ReplyDelete