Friday, January 22, 2010

Iron Chef!!

Okay, here's the first normal person blog...its really hard...I really want to say something about Pharmaceutical companies, but I will refrain.  Instead I will talk about what I am up to, or at least try!

So, recently Dan and I had the brilliant idea of hosting an Iron Chef competition since we both like to cook and we are both very competitive.  And since we had a day off of school on Monday, we decided to go for it!


Mom and Aunt Kay conspired to come up with the secret ingredient which, much to our surprise, was GRAHAM CRACKERS!  We totally laughed when we saw that, but then went straight to work!  After about 10 minutes of recipe planning (without the use of internet or friends), and 30 minutes allotted to grocery shopping, the 1 hour time limit started ticking!

Here's what the end products were:


Iron Chef Lindsey
-pink trout marinated in coconut milk, dusted with finely crushed graham crackers and black pepper, baked with lemon slices on top.  Served with a mango salsa of chopped mango, red pepper, red onion, jalapeno pepper, and lemon juice

-baked pasta with olive oil, chopped prosciutto, red pepper, and fresh basil leaves, and mozzarella.  Topped with a mixture of 3 Italian white cheeses, bread crumbs, and graham cracker crumbs.

-Fruit tart with a graham cracker, almond, and honey base, topped with vanilla ice cream and mango sorbet, and sliced nectarines with raspberries.

Iron Chef Daniel 
-Baked tilapia with coarse graham cracker crust of chopped macadamia nuts, butter, parmesan cheese, oregano, and parsley

-Parfait of cool whip folded with vanilla yogurt, crumbled graham crackers and granola, and fresh blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries.

As far as scoring, according to the judges:

Presentation- Lindsey
Use of the Ingredient- Daniel
Taste- tie, L & D

So basically a tie, but because my dessert wasnt quite set at the time of consumption, Dan took that to mean that he was the ultimate winner.  Whatever.  I'm actually the real winner because he makes me dinner all the time! :D

All in all, a super fun event, but for all you married folks it would be difficult since you would have to share the kitchen, which might lead to knife fights over the oven, so just be careful.  And happy eating!


A la cuisine!

7 comments:

  1. It sounds great and looks amazing- I can tell I'm prego- and it's lunch time! I also like the non- modern art picture of dan. And, since this is about your life, please dedicate a post to Dan. He is a law school aquaintenance, etc? And I'd really like to know about "...he makes me dinner all the time..." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a fantastic blogger about your life! I enjoy your political blog, but I really like reading about you better :) Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun, fun, fun! Thanks for the mention:-) I sent aunt kay your meal plan, just not sure she can read her computer. love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps- I hope people know that is me in the pastry box, so when you are famous they include me in the footnotes:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you created this blog!!

    And I second the request for you to dedicate a post to Dan. He looks delightful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need your recipes...they sound yummy! JP wants to know when you and your smart car coop are coming to see our new house!

    Ali

    ReplyDelete